Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

My First Canvas

     This week's Mixability challenge was called anything goes which gave me the leeway to try my hand at painting on a canvas.  I had found an ugly zodiac canvas in the $.75 bin and decided I had nothing to lose.
     You can see another one of the canvases on the left and here's my beginning. I layered a couple of layers of matte white Gesso then laid my stencil and added a thick layer for my rays. After that dried I tinted my Gesso with More Mustard reinker and went through the stencil again to add color. I put a little of the tinted Gesso with more white added in between the raised rays.

      I wanted the yellow to be brighter, so I wet a brush and picked up some Crushed Curry from my ink pad lid to paint over the rays.
      I added some Gelly Roll Clear Star accents, mainly on the raised areas.
      I added a bit of Pumpkin Pie in the same way I'd added the curry, then used a Basic Black marker  to ink up various alphabet stamps and stamped onto the canvas. I went back over with my marker to darken some areas and then added some glitter highlights.
      And here is the finished project!
Stamps: Collage Alphabet, Pure & Simple Alphabet, Alphabet Appeal
Paper: Canvas
Ink: Crushed Curry, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black (marker)
Accessories: Gesso, More Mustard reinker, Heidi Swapp stencil, paintbrush, Gelly Roll Pen-Clear Star
Techniques: Stencil, Omitting with Markers

Read more: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2433137#ixzz2gubq5Mr0

No comments:

Post a Comment