Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Turning a card into a One Layer Card


     I am playing along with two challenges in one here. The first is a technique challenge to make a one layer card that looks like it has more than one layer. The other is to CASE a card from stamperrobin's gallery. I chose this beautiful Christmas card that had 3 layers as well as some die cut accents and a bow. 
Pine by Stamperrobin
I started out by punching a rectangle out of a large sticky note. After laying it down to see the space, I stamped my pine cones (mine are smaller with a lot less detail)



I cut sticky note masks and laid them over my pine cones.

I laid my rectangle reverse mask over this and sponged Soft Sky and Smoky Slate around.
I inked up my pine boughs with Always Artichoke then added Chocolate Chip along the stem & thumped some more Artichoke  around on the needles.
 I  stamped the boughs over the masked areas.
 I used a chalkboard marker to dot on some snow.
 So here's my first "layer"
 I trimmed the edges of my mask and laid a couple smaller sticky notes in the middle to cover my open area. I inked up my brayer and added Artichoke then Garden Green.
I went back with a sponge and filled in the outer "layer" a bit more. I'm ready to use my marker and ruler to define the edges of my "layers" I ended up using the brush side of the marker.
I wanted the sentiment to fit in the corner so I inked up the second word and stamped it first. Then I used my stampamajig to line up the second word over the top. 
I can't stand to waste ink, so I have brayered some rolling hills on the bottom of another sheet of card stock to start another card later.
Here's my final card with a bow added in the corner with a glue dot. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with some warmer tones in the green, but I'm pleased with the layered look I was able to achieve. 
Stamps: Peaceful Wishes, Come to Bethlehem Paper: Natural Whit ePaper Size: A2 Ink: Always Artichoke, Garden Green, Soft Sky, Smoky Slate, Chocolate Chip, Early Espresso Accessories: Markers, Sponge, Ruler, Chalkboard Marker, Always Artichoke Seam Binding, Glue Dot, Stampamajig Techniques: Masking, Doodled Frame, Sponging, Thumping, Rock n roll Read more:
 http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2480659#ixzz2sKA6Vhh3
Here's another one layer card I made this morning. Lots of layered stamping and sponging on this one along with some pencil shading.
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge, Tim Holtz Life's Possibilities Paper: Neutrals Patterns Pack dp, white base
Paper Size: A2 Ink: Smoky Slate, Basic Grey, Island Indigo, Soft Sky, Midnight Muse, MS Petal chalk inks Accessories: Sponge, Dry Wall Mesh Tape, Pencil, Markers Techniques: One Layer Card, Crumpling, Sponging, Stenciling, Stamping Off, Masking   Read more:   http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2480422#ixzz2sKB0D4K6

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful card...I really like your pine boughs one...makes one wish it was Christmas all over again...

    ReplyDelete