Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mask Up A One Layer Card

     I'm so excited to be on the CAS Challenge Summer Design Team. This week's challenge is a technique challenge to use masking and make a one layer card.  I just got some new SU goodies and thought the hostess set Simply Sketched would work great for this technique. 
The finished cards.
Stamps: Simply Sketched, French Script
Paper: Natural White
Ink: Versamark, Smoky Slate, Soft Sky
Accessories: Markers: Cherry Cobbler, Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive, Rose Red and Versamarker, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Paint brush, Sponge, Occasions Piercing Guide, Piercing Tool, Clear Embossing Powder
Techniques: Masking, Sponging, Piercing, Embossing, Marker Layering

Read more: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2393887#ixzz2YPpPOUtX

Here's a series of pictures showing the progression of my design.
I started by cutting the oval, reverse mask and sponging the Soft Sky. I stamped my first image then masked over it.

I had stamped with Versamark and Smoky Slate then embossed with clear ep.

I used the marker layering technique to color my leaves. Here is the first layer of Pear Pizzazz.

Second layer is Old Olive.

I used a wet brush to blend the paints a bit.

First layer on the berries was Rose Red.

I colored onto a piece of acetate with a Cherry Cobbler marker then used a wet brush to add this color onto the berries.

With the mask in place, it is hard to get enough pressure to add the script so I laid my inked and stamped off bg stamp onto my desk and laid the image over that. I could then add pressure over the oval area to pick up the script stamping.

Here's what it looks like with the mask still in place.


When I'm making a one layer card, I like to use my          Stamp-a-ma-jig for the placement of my sentiment to make sure I don't end up with a boo boo that I can't simply cover with another layer!

I went back and added the last step in the marker layering, using a Sahara Sand marker to add depth around the leaves. I also sponged some more Soft Sky around the edges and corners of the card.

Another way to add some interest on a one layer card is to add some piercing. I used the Occasions piercing guide to accent my sponged and stamped oval. My guide wasn't quite the same size as my oval however, so I ended up adding a second round of piercing to even out the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment