Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sketch Cards

Such a fun sketch from Cathy this week for the sketch challenge at splitcoaststampers.  
When I'm working on my sample cards for the challenge, I usually start with an image or stamp set in mind. I thought about using a coffee set and neutral colors since I didn't have a chance to make a second card for yesterday's CAS challenge which was one that I was privileged to choose! I decided on a neutrals only challenge.  Once I pulled my coffee set out (which I don't think had seen ink yet) I realized that the large coffee cup might look better if the sketch were oriented differently. I'm kind of a spatially challenge person so the best way for me to play around with sketches is to actually turn the printed sketch around to help me to see what it looks like in different orientations. I ended up with a horizontal card.
I combined image and sentiment from the Perfect Blend set with spatter from the Gorgeous Grunge set-a new favorite of mine for backgrounds. I pieced the coffee sleeve adding some texture by crimping.  My Early Espresso ink pad is MIA so I embossed both the cup and sentiment.  I added some sponging to my print dp and bg piece. Once I had the sentiment placed, I felt like the card was a bit out of balance so I threw the piece of burlap on there. I used my favorite twine which comes from our local ACE hardware store!
I popped the whole panel on dimensionals since the twine is so chunky. Here are a couple of other shots of the card.
Stamps: Perfect Blend, Gorgeous Grunge Paper: Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Neutral Patterns Pack dp Paper Size: A2 Ink: Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Baked Brown Sugar, Versamark Accessories: Crimper, Early Espresso ep, sponge, Stampin' Dimensionals, burlap, twine, mini glue dot Techniques: Paper Piecing, Embossing, Sponging, Crimping, Stamping Off

Read more: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2493301#ixzz2v37uIFhc

Here's my second card which I think I'll set aside for my Dad's 80th birthday. For a previous birthday he got a shirt that said, "I'm not aging, I'm marinating!" My image panel is all one layer with layered stamping and sponging. I distressed my edges to go with the "aged" theme. My sentiment is embossed with Early Espresso ep and my pocket watch is a mix of ep that I use when I want the look of aged metal. Here's a closeup of the watch.
This is a really fun sketch to work with. Hope you'll come and play along at the sketch challenge this week.
Stamps: Clockworks, Artifacts, Stampabilities-Aged to Perfection Paper: Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla Paper Size: A2 Ink: Smoky Slate, Basic Grey, Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Versafine Ony xAccessories: Natural Trim, Linen Thread, Cutter Kit Distressing Tool, Sponge, Mix of ep and Early Espresso ep Techniques: Distressing, Sponging, Embossing

Read more:   http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2493303#ixzz2v38KXQ4S
I couldn't resist making one more card with the neutrals I still had out on my desk and even used up some "leftovers"
I dry embossed and sanded my Espresso piece that has a lighter core. I also inked up the same ef and embossed my twill tape. I had the fern and the cardboard piece in my stash of leftovers. I found the sentiment in a vellum quote pack.
Stamps: Timber Wheel Paper: Baked Brown Sugar, Early Espresso core paper, Crumb Cake, Gumball Green, Soft Suede textured, Vellum quote pack, cardboard Paper Size: A2 Ink: Baked Brown Sugar, Soft Suede Accessories: Tim Holtz Woodgrain ef, Cheery- Lynn-Pair of Ferns die, circle punches, Twill Tape, Early Espresso grosgrain ribbon, stapler, vellum tape, sanding block, cutter kit distressing tool Techniques: Dry embossing, Distressing, Sponging, Sanding

Read more:   http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2493715#ixzz2v9KsUNED

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Gail...I especially like the coffee and friends card, with it's perfect neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous job on this challenge. Got to go and do mine :)

    ReplyDelete