Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Paint it Twice-now that's nice!

     Today's Mixability Challenge was to use paint on paint. I decided to try a bg layering watercolor and Gesso.  I started by scribbling with watercolor crayons on a base of watercolor paper.

     I used a wet brush to color wash the whole piece. 
      Here's what it looked like when dry.
     I inked up my bg stamp with a marker omitting the birds then spritzed with water before stamping. Apparently, I'd put the stamp away dirty....

      .....because the birds showed up in a reddish pink-I wet my brush and tried to wash them out a bit.
       Good thing my plan was to add Gesso over it all anyway! It softened it all up and blended in the pinkish colors and I ended up being OK with it!

     After spreading the Gesso I then swirled it a bit with circular motions and stamped with the same stamp again to pull off a bit of the Gesso, hard to see in the photo.

Here's the final card. I ended up adding a bit more blue back in by sponging the edges and a bit in the center with Tempting Turquoise ink.
 

     Here's another mix with paint daubed over a lightly embossed bg and the grey strip is Gesso over dictionary page with spatters of blue paint. The green leaves are from a gelatin plate print that I die cut and the other are sponged in a Secret Garden Framelit die. 
 
Paper: Bermuda Bay, Whisper White, Baja Breeze, dictionary page, Crumb Cake
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Several browns on the faux wood, Blushing Bride?
Accessories: Secret Garden Framelits, Cheery Lynn Pair of Ferns die, Gelatin Plate, acrylic paints, Acrylic Paint dauber-blue, Vellum Quote, twine, button, Grey Gesso, Distressed Texturz Plate, Cutter kit Distressing Tool
Techniques: Sponging in the Die, Gelatin Plate Printing, Die cutting, Freestyle Collage, Faux Wood, Distressing,

Read more: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2426690#ixzz2fTadQdVO

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Gail, for these step by step directions on how you created this wonderful card! It is an awesome beauty!

    ReplyDelete